Sunday, January 11, 2009

Week 7 Thing 16 Wikis

I enjoyed the Albany County Public Library Staff wiki as an example of a way our library can update its current policies over time and with the input of several staff members...
The Library Bloggers wiki is a great source for different types of library blogs - academic, public, school, special, etc.
I'm still a little fuzzy on the delineation of a wiki from a blog....a blog has one writer while many can contribute to a wiki...? I have been looking at the sample school wiki from Westwood, but I understand the English and AP History ones better.
As always, Joyce Valenza has a great list of topics on her wiki...teacherlibrarianwiki- it is similar to a pathfinder....
The list of examples of wiki uses was very helpful...I can see a wiki as a place to discuss Battle of the Books, Library Club issues, Info Tech discoveries, ethics, etc.
I liked the detailed explanation of wikis at Wiki, wiki,wiki
I could live without the bee background in Wikis: A Beginner's Look, but she makes her point- if you are into "control", a wiki is not for you.
The last link suggests wikis as easily-updated vehicles for subject guides, a function to annotate your OPAC, a way for librarians to discuss subjects of interest, and a way to get community input. Wikis are what we needed several years ago for our online partner projects, as opposed to emailing back and forth at infinium....and losing track of which version was the last one....

No comments: