Sunday, January 11, 2009

Week 4 Thing 8 RSS and Google Reader

The video at BlipTV was great! Very easy to understand....and one comment points out that something different form Powerpoint is a plus these days.....Another comment referred to "powerpointlessness" as people tire of the ppt format. Even I understand what RSS is now....and can't wait to sign up!

arrgghh...I signed up to Google Reader, but can't actually get some of the sites I often visit...I understand why my granddaughter's site can't be subscribed to- password protected- but why can't I add the school district site? I was browsing and signed up for Google News- until I saw that the 10 feeds have 3,422.1 posts per week.....like I need that...I "unsubscribed" or any TRYING to unsubscribe...it doesn't seem to be completing the task.... yay! it unsubscribed...so I subscribed to the "library" bundle under "browse".....it has several blogs and LISNews.org, Tame the Web, Librarians' Internet Index: New This Week, and Information Wants to be Free. We'll see......

RSS has many potential uses at school, particularly for new booktalks, new releases, etc. to place on the library webpage. The advantages in my personal life are limited by the fact that you can't subscribe to some of the sites that you read the most, but on a professional level, the advantages are limitless....

I managed to get the blogs off my Google Reader subscriptions so that the size of news is manageable..... There are now 6 feeds on it and I will search for some good ones in the next Thing.

No comments: